Skip to main content

Transmute

It has been awhile since I have written anything. For a moment, I felt bad about that and had begun with the internal guilt trip, but I reminded myself that I would only write when I had something to say, and I had been unmotivated and stuck.

This week, I decided that I needed to fast for a few days, mainly from social media. I was tired..the noise was becoming too much. Black men attacking black women for wearing weave...people supporting Bill Cosby and R. Kelly...Kanye...Trump...police killing and attacking people of color...the incessant need to tell people what they are not doing right, and how they need to level up...it was all a lot and I needed to take a break. So, I did..for about 4 days.

Along with that, I adjusted my diet, and added more prayer and bible study. I will admit, that I have never successfully completed a fast. Whenever my church fast, I always start strong, but usually don't finish. Something about this time was different and it was easier than I expected it to be.

When I started, I only knew that the noise was too much, and was only expecting to feel lighter, and less overwhelmed...but in true God fashion...He showed up! I am not ready to go into full details, maybe one day I will, but what I can say, is that I come out of my fast with this...enough is enough.

I will be 35 in September! (I cannot believe this and I am honestly having a small crisis). I am not sure why, but something about it is making me anxious. I feel like I got some of that answer this week. For some time now, I have been living lower than my calling. I know that God wants to use my life to make an impact, but I have been running in some ways. This week, I made a very hard decision, and had to speak my truth in ways that I have never done before. I did not want to do it. I have been thinking about it all week, and I get sad at times. Because, if I am honest, I want what I walked away from. I realize that what I want is not always what is best for me. So, as I get ready to approach 35, I have decided enough is just enough. The woman of integrity that I am, takes center stage now, and if that means being uncomfortable, then so be it. The call is more important that my comfort and it is time for me to level all the way up. No more running, no more hiding, just me, standing flat footed and firm, and saying yes. Yes to God, yes to opportunity, yes to life, yes to love, yes to the next version of Lauren. I am ready, to grow again, to transform for another time. Life is all about change, growth and revitalization.  So, here I am, unsure of what's next, but trusting that whatever it is, is what's best.

Integrity - 1. the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles
                 2. the state of being whole and undivided

Transmute - 1. to change or alter in form, appearance, or nature and especially to a higher form.

Lauren

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating A New Normal

"I am not the exception, I am the norm" - unknown I cannot recall if I read the above quote, or if I heard someone say it. But wherever I was when I heard it, it struck a chord, and I made it a point to write it down. Just to be clear, I love this quote. This is one that I would make a life mantra. One of the things I love most about myself, is that I really want to see as many people win as possible, and that desire intensifies when it comes to young black women.  For those of you who may not know, I am the founder of a non profit, Her Future: Teen Mom Empowerment Group, and this quote describes the reason I started this work. I feel like I tell my story so much, but here goes again. 18 pregnant, in college, no clue what I would do...fast forward, 34, career, founder of a non profit, Masters Degree, and that baby I had is the bomb!  Thing is this, I am not the exception, and if I can help it, I will never be. I know so many women who were moms before they may hav

I Know I've Been Changed...A Reflection From My Weekend in NOLA!

I have to start this post by first saying thank you to my friend Tara Pringle Jefferson . Tara is the creator of #HereWeGrow a National Self Care Retreat that happens yearly. She is the reason that I was in New Orleans for 5 days, thus the reason for this change that I feel. So, Tara, THANK YOU for your hard work, and commitment to giving black women a space to BE, and for reminding us the importance of taking care of ourselves.  I have so much to say about this weekend, but I am going to use a filter (some stuff is too personal to share) and I am going to try and keep this as short as possible. Preparation: Leading up to the retreat, I was all over the place. I just could not seem to get it together. Life was really hitting me hard. The week of, I had at least 2 breakdowns, there were a million things to do in order to get my children settled, and I was nervous about flying Spirit (which was actually ok). I wasn't able to take a deep breath until I to the airport. Maybe this

My Thoughts on Child Support

So, for some time now, I have wanted to say a few things about child support. Didn't know if I should rant on FB (I am not a twitter user), or post a blog. Obliviously, I decided to go with the blog, just because I wanted to make sure my thoughts came across clear. Let me start by saying this is NOT to bash anyone, but to offer a different perspective. I hear so many men (and some women) talk negatively about child support and the women who receive it, and honestly, I think it is nonsense. So, hear we go... A note, I will refer to parents as custodial and non-custodial, because I realize that although we are always talking about women who receive child support, the reverse could be true. A little background. I am a mother of 2, and my children have different dads. 1 pays child support, the other does not. I do not believe that all non-custodial parents should be on court ordered support. If you are responsible enough to give the custodial parent, a set amount (20% in Illinois